[5th contest] Vegan Rice Crispies
Updated: Apr 29, 2021
Vegan Rice Crispies
Serving Size: 16 crispy treats
Total time: 50 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Additional time: at least 30 minutes to chill
Shelf Life: 5 days in the refrigerator
Container size: Any size pan will work depending on desired thickness
½ cup aquafaba(the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp agar powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cream of tartar
5 cups of puffed rice cereal
Cooking tools required: hand or standing mixer
1. Gather all ingredients and line a baking dish with parchment paper
2. Combine all ingredients (except for the cereal) in a saucepan over medium heat while whisking constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes, until everything has dissolved and the mixture looks like a thick syrup.
3. Transfer ingredients to a bowl.
4. Beat the mixture for 10-12 minutes with a hand mixer until the mixture has turned white and sticky.
5. Fold cereal into the mixture with a spatula
6. Pour mixture into baking dish, making sure to firmly press everything down so they stick. Now is the time to add sprinkles if you choose to!
7. Refrigerate or freeze until firm. Cut and enjoy!
When combining ingredients in the saucepan, start by whisking together the aquafaba and sugar until it dissolves, followed by the remaining ingredients. Make sure you whisk constantly while it’s simmering to prevent burning.
Story Hi there! I’m Marissa and I’m an American cook who enjoys having fun and experimenting in the kitchen. My love for plant based foods, science and the creation of alternative methods for traditional recipes is the driving force behind my recipes. I hope to encourage people to include more plant based foods in their daily meals, and to branch out and try new foods. I truly believe that food is what sustains us, heals us, and brings us closer together!
This recipe was inspired by one of my all time favorite snacks as a kid, rice crispy treats! When I was young, marshmallows and cereal were pantry staples in my house. Since we always had them on hand, making crispy treats was routine and easy to make for various occasions. My vegan rice crispy treats require a couple extra steps to prepare the gelatin-free marshmallows, but they still manage to hit the spot and make me super nostalgic over the oh-so satisfyingly fluffy and crunchy treat that I so adored as a kid!