[5th contest] Pom Poms
Updated: Apr 29, 2021
Approximate total time: 2 hours
1/2 cup juice (I used Pom Pomegranate juice)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2tsp + a pinch agar agar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 Tbs coconut oil
4oz dark chocolate vegan chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4tsp tapioca starch
(Makes about 1 gummy tray plus extra, enjoy the leftover bears as a treat! Toss them in caster sugar, and if you want them to be a little sour, blend the sugar with vitamin C crystals)
1/2 cup coconut cream (1 can) (if using full fat canned coconut milk, be sure to put the can in the fridge as soon as you get home to make it easier to remove the fat)
If you are not vegan and prefer milk chocolate, feel free to use that!
Also to make these more fun and colorful you can use white chocolate and food coloring for the shells!
What you’ll need
Measuring cups (preferably metal, if not that’s okay too!)
Small cheap paint brushes
Small sauce pot
1-2 gummy bear trays
Silicone Tray 1” half spheres
Silpat mat/non stick mat
Two snack sized or sandwich sized baggies
Gummy bear part
The first thing you will need to do is make your tapioca so that it can set in time!
1. In a small saucepot combine juice, agar agar powder, and tapioca starch
2. Stir, and continue to stir as you heat the mixture until it comes to a gentle boil. Allow to boil for a few minutes, then turn off the heat.
3. After the mixture cools for a few minutes, use the dropper to fill the bears on the mold.
Be sure to pop any bubbles before they set.
4. Allow to cool on the counter so the mixture will set before you move them to the fridge to finish setting
5. Combine Chocolate Chips and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl.
6. Microwave in 20-30 second intervals, stirring between each until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Gently mix with a spoon to avoid making air bubbles.
7. Using a small spoon, on each tray fill 12 half spheres, pressing the chocolate all the way up on the sides. Then quickly swirl and turn the tray upside down over the rack that is inside a silpat lined sheet pan to allow the excess chocolate to drip out.
8. When the chocolate is done dripping out (it takes less than a minute), move the tray to the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set.
9. While the first layer of chocolate is setting, we will make the pudding part of our filling and the come back to the chocolate spheres.
10. Put coconut fat in a small bowl. If chilled, microwave for 1 minute. If not, heat for 30-45 seconds.
11. Add your chocolate chips and sugar into the hot coconut fat. Stir until dissolved.
Microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed to fully melt and dissolve chocolate and sugar.
12. Once all ingredients are fully mixed, allow to cool for a few minutes. Then pour the chocolate pudding into two plastic ziplock bags and place in the fridge to finish cooling.
Final Steps! (This may take a while....)
13. If you chocolate and coconut mixture has cooled, microwave for 30 seconds or until soft and runny.
14. Apply a second layer of chocolate in the half sphere molds.
15. While the chocolate is setting, let’s prepare our assembly station.
REMEMBER! when working with chocolate, you want everything to be cold. So crank the A/C or open a window to let cold air in. Work on a chilled surface like a chilled sheet pan or a cool stone counter top.
(To prevent a mess on the counter, lay down a layer of plastic wrap for an easy clean up) Have gloves, small paint brushes, and warm chocolate on stand by.
16. Remove your fruity bear tapioca from the molds onto a plat and set aside at your work station. Put any leftover fruity tapioca bears in an air tight container in the fridge to enjoy later.
17. Gently remove chocolate domes from the mold and put them on the chilled work surface.
18. By now, your pudding should be nice and thick, and not too runny. Fill half of your chocolate domes with the chocolate pudding, almost all of the way.
19. Place a tapioca bear on each half, and put a small glob of pudding on top of the bear, careful not to get any on the edge of the chocolate sphere. If you do, just wipe it away.
20. Now we are going to use the other empty chocolate spheres. Using your small paint brush, brush melted chocolate onto the edge and then press it onto the filled chocolate dome. Press together, and paint extra chocolate on the seem to help it hold. Place on the cool pan. Do this with all of your chocolates until they are finished and allow to set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until set. Then gently remove from the molds, and enjoy!!
Adults only! You may use an exact knife to shave away any extra chocolate to make it into a more smooth sphere.
Alternatively, an adult can use a lighter to heat a metal measuring cup. Place the empty chocolate sphere on the hot metal to lightly melt the edges and place it on top of a filled sphere to fuse them together