Updated: Apr 28, 2021
Vanilla Sponge cake filled with fresh raspberries, vegan condensed milk, and topped with coconut yogurt and edible flowers. The light, fluffy texture gives it a happy springtime dessert feel. Also, one of my favorite cakes to go with a mug of hot chocolate.
Oftentimes swiss rolls are a difficult recipe to successfully make while only using gluten-free flours. When you start rolling the sheet cake it’ll start crumbling or it’ll crack because the sticky gluten isn’t there to hold it together. However, when the agar powder is added the gelatinous texture holds everything together nicely and problem solved!
Despite its name, this roll is not of Swiss origin but rather British and very popular in Hong Kong.
Prep Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Cooling Time: 30 minutes Total Time (prep + cooking + cooling): 1 hr 20 minutes
Serves for 8 people
Vegan, Keto, Gluten-free
Cake Ingredients ¾ cup of vegan butter ⅓ cup of agave nectar 1 cup of raspberries, mashed 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract 1 cup of gluten-free cake flour mix (⅓ cup of tapioca flour, ⅓ cup of rice flour, ¼ cup of cornstarch, 1 tbsp of baking powder, 1 tbsp of guar gum, a pinch of salt) ½ cup of almond flour 1 cup of coconut milk 1 tbsp of agar agar powder Filling 1 cup of raspberries, mashed ½ cup of vegan condensed milk (⅓ cup of plant milk powder, 2 tbsp of agave syrup, and ¼ cup of coconut milk) Topping ½ cup of coconut yogurt, combined with 2 tbsp of coconut oil
1. Cream the butter, agave nectar, vanilla and mashed raspberries together in a mixing bowl. Next, add the cake flour and almond flour.
2. Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan with the agar agar powder and bring to a boil while constantly whisking. Pour this thickened milk into the batter mixing bowl.
3. Combine thoroughly and spread the batter out evenly on an 8”x11” baking tray. Bake at 375 fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Let it cool before adding the fillings.
4. Whisk together the condensed milk ingredients and lather the fillings on top of the sheet cake. Roll it up and store it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
5. Pour over the coconut coconut yogurt mixture and decorate with extra raspberries or edible flowers.
※ don’t forget to enjoy as toppings or as a treat itself
★ ABOUT CHEF