Updated: Sep 27, 2021
It's Spring! It's not quite ice-cream-weather yet, but it's not hot-apple-pie-weather either. I wanted to create a dessert that is cool enough to enjoy inside or out, and was simple enough that kitchen cleanup wouldn't take all afternoon so I could go enjoy the sunshine. This blueberry mint cheesecake is light and fresh and really just smells like spring. I hope you enjoy it! ★Funfact! If you don’t want to use store-bought vegan cream cheese, you can simply make your own by blending 1 cup of soaked cashews and 3-4 Tbsp of lemon juice. Add a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar for a little more zing!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: about 20 minutes Cooling Time: 1 hour Total Time (prep + cooking + cooling): 1 ½ - 2 hours
Serves 6-10 people
Vegan, vegetarian, dairy free
1 1/2 Cup crumbled graham crackers
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
Blueberry Mint Cheesecake
2 Cups fresh blueberries
8 oz container of vegan cream cheese, or make your own with soaked cashews and lemon juice
Handful of fresh mint leaves, roughly 25-30 leaves
1/4 Cup cashews or cashew flour
1/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp of cane sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Living Jin Agar Agar powder
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
3/4 Cup water
1. In a bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with brown sugar. Pour melted butter over the top and mix thoroughly until combined.
2. Press into the bottom of your pie tin or springform pan, or split evenly among your choices of smaller dishes. I used 3 medium/small springform pans. Once pressed into a solid crust, set aside.
3. In a small pot, add 1 Cup of the blueberries, 2 Tbsp of sugar, and the lemon juice. Heat on medium until the berries begin to soften. Chop and mash them with a fork so it becomes a somewhat chunky syrup.
4. Chiffonade (cut into tiny strips or chunks) 20 mint leaves and add them to the mixture.
5. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp (or 1/2 Tbsp) of agar agar powder and turn the heat up to medium-high, stirring constantly. Once it begins to boil and thicken, take it off the heat and pour on top of your crust. Spread with a spatula or shake side-to-side to smooth it out (DO NOT tap it on your counter, this will damage your crust!). Set in the fridge to chill while moving onto the next steps.
6. To your blender, add the remaining cup of blueberries, vegan cream cheese, cashews, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, white wine vinegar, and remaining 5-10 mint leaves. Blend until very smooth. You may need a stop a few times to scrape down the sides. You can add a little bit of water if needed, no more than 1/4 cup.
7. In a small pot combine 3/4 cup water and 1 Tbsp agar agar powder. Bring to a quick boil while stirring and then add it to your blender with the other ingredients. Blend!
8. Pour your cheesecake mix into your pan(s) on top of your minty blueberry jelly layer and spread with a spatula. Let it set in your fridge for at least an hour before serving.
※ Make either one regular-sized cheesecake (pie tin size) or multiple mini cakes. Serves about 6-10, depending on slice size.
If you don’t want to use store-bought vegan cream cheese, you can simply make your own by blending 1 cup of soaked cashews and 3-4 Tbsp of lemon juice. Add a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar for a little more zing!
★ ABOUT CHEF