Updated: Aug 6, 2021
To suit the theme, I have made a savory kind of chiffon cake with cheese flavor. I used agar-agar powder to make red milk cubes, imitating lava rocks oozing out from beneath the Earth. You could definitely also colored your whipping cream to red to resemble red lava flowing out from the ‘crater’. Depending on how rich you prefer your cake dessert, you can sprinkle as much shredded cheddar cheese as possible 😊
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes (include baking time) Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Serves for: 6 people
Size of container: 6” Ø x 11cm height
Shelf Period: 1 week in fridge
★ SUITABLE DIET
Milk Magma Jelly
Agar-Agar Powder 2 tsp
Jelly Powder (optional) 1/2 tsp
Red coloring or Red Yeast Powder
Cheese Chiffon Cake
Egg Yolks 2
Vanilla Essence 1/2 tsp
Cheese Powder or Parmesan Cheese Powder 1-2 tbsp
Cake Flour 38g
Egg White 2
Lemon Juice 1/4 tsp
Cornstarch 1/2 tbsp Snow Cream
Redman Whipping Cream 75g
Sugar 1/2 tsp Other
Cheddar Cheese, shredded Appropriate Amount
Supplies needed Mixing bowls
🥛🌋 1. Milk Magma Jelly
1) Measure 600ml Milk into a cooking pot.
2) In a small bowl, gather - sugar, agar-agar powder, jelly powder. Whisk to combine.
3) Pour dry ingredients into Milk. Stir to dissolve.
4) You can add red coloring or natural red yeast powder (2 tsp).
5) Boil over stove at medium heat. Stir occasionally to ensure dissolve and avoid skin form on surface.
6) Turn heat to low and boil for another 1 minute.
7) Leave asides to slightly cool before pouring into a rectangular mold.
8) Fridge until solidify. Cut into cubes.
💚 2. Cheese Chiffon Cake (Preheat your oven at 180 deg C)
1)Add lemon juice into egg white. Whisk until foamy.
2) Add half of the sugar and continue to high whisk until soft peak achieved.
3) Add the remaining half sugar. Whisk until firm peak.
4) Low whisk for another 1 min. Set aside.
5) Whisk egg yolks until fluffy and slightly pale yellow.
6) Add in Oil, Milk & Vanilla Essence. Whisk to just combine.
7) Add in Cheese Powder. Whisk to combine.
8) Fold in your sifted Cake Flour. 9) Take 1/3 of your fluffy egg white into your yolk mixture. Fold to combine.
10) Now, pour your yolk mixture into the egg white bowl.
11) Carefully fold to combine.
12) Pour into your chiffon cake pan. Tap it on your table to release air bubbles.
13) Bake at 180 deg C for 10 mins. Turn down temperature to 160 deg C and continue to bake for 25 mins. Note that every oven’s temperature differs. Please adjust accordingly. Use a skewer or cake tester to check for doneness,
i.e.: no crumbs attached.
14) Immediately overturn your chiffon cake pan for cooling. It is advisable to remove cake from mold only after it has been cooled completely.
❄️ 3. Snow Cream
1) Whisk your whipping cream to about 60% firm only so that it can flows to the side of the cake later.
🌋🎂 4. Assembly
Step 1) Scoop some of your whipped cream to the top of the chiffon cake.
2) Let it flows naturally down from the side of the cake.
3) Sprinkle as much shredded cheddar cheese on the top of whipped cream as you like.
4) Put your cubed milk magma jelly into the middle hollow of the cake.
5) sprinkled some edible dark pink metallic powder on top too.
6) Voila! Fridge cake till ready to serve.
★ Helpful Tips!
Ensure your egg white bowl is clean from any oil / yolk. Otherwise, it would ruin your egg white for beating.
Adjust cheese powder into your cake yolk batter to your likings. However, putting too much will make your cake saltier though.
Whipping your cream to about 60% will be like ‘ribbon flow’ consistency.
It is best to finish this cake in 3 days’ time. Chilling in fridge too long will dry-up the chiffon cake texture.
★ ABOUT CHEF
My name is Ms. Van Jing (VJ), in my late thirties from Brunei Darussalam. I am a self-taught baker, mainly learning from internet, YouTube and other recipe books. Baking is therapeutic! It is like doing chemistry in the Kitchen. I bake only on weekends. My baking hobby started after my late mother who is both a great Home Cook and Baker. I hope you enjoy baking and tasting this cake recipe. Have a blast!