Updated: Aug 5, 2021
This was a hard recipe to come up with and ever since I was younger I loved anything red velvet. I'm not going to lie, thinking up something for a cheese volcano was very challenging until I thought of a lava cake. It literally has the word lava in it and works like a volcano. Then I had to think about how I would incorporate some type of cheese in that and I thought of cream cheese and that led me to think of red velvet. When you cut open into the “volcano” the cream cheese flows out like how I would imagine magma does when a volcano erupts. I would describe this dessert as a gift full of surprises. I would recommend this dessert to anyone who loves red velvet or anybody that wants to try something new.
Prep Time: 2hours 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-18 minutes Total Time: 2hours 30 minutes
Serves for: 18 people
Size of container: 2.75in (or any size)
Shelf Period: up to 1 week in the refrigerator
★ SUITABLE DIET
- Nut free
- No color
- For kids
1 large beet or 2 medium beets
butter ¾ cup / 170grams
oat milk ¾ cup
vinegar 2 tsp
rice vinegar 2 tsp
vanilla extract 1 ½ tsp
flour 2 cups/200g
cocoa powder 3 tbs/ 24g
baking powder 1 ⅛ tsp/6g
baking soda ½ tsp/3g
granulated sugar 1 ¾ cup/350g
cream cheese 1 8oz pack
butter ¼ cup
powdered sugar 1 cup powdered
agar-agar powder 2 tsp
White chocolate ( optional )
Supplies needed :
Stand or hand mixer
Muffin pan or ramekin
Glass tupper ware
Blender or food processor
🧩 Step 1
1) Preheat your oven to 4000F.
2) Next, wash and dry your beets very well.
3) Then, wrap your beets in foil and let them bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a knife goes smoothly inside the beet.
4) Make sure you place your beets on a cookie sheet before they go in the oven to catch any drippings.
🧩 Step 2
1) After your beets have cooked turn off the oven and let them cool inside the oven. 2) Once they are warm to the touch you are going to peel and dice the beets up. 3) Set 1 cup of the beets to the side and if there’s any extra use them for another recipe.
🧩 Step 3
1) While the beets have been set aside we are going to make our buttermilk.
2) You can buy pre-made buttermilk but I prefer to make my own.
3) To the ¾ cup of oat milk, you are going to add 2tsp of vinegar and let set for a few minutes.
4) Now to a blender you are going to add your beets, buttermilk mixture, vanilla extract, and the juice of one lemon and blend till smooth.
🧩 Step 4
1) Now you are going to sift all your dry ingredients and have them in a separate bowl. 2) Then you are going to cream your butter and sugar till it’s fluffy then slowly add in the 3 eggs till it’s fully incorporated.
🧩 Step 5
1) Next, your gonna slowly incorporate the dry mixture and the wet mixture alternating turns.
2) Start with the dry mixture and end with the dry mixture.
3) Then mix till fully incorporated.
4) If there is separation in the batter or it starts to look clumpy that’s completely normal.
🧩 Step 6
1) You are going to set the batter aside and now make the cream cheese mixture which is gonna be our “lava”. 2) In a bowl, you are going to cream 8oz of cream cheese and ¼ cup of butter together along with 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1tsp of vanilla extract.
3) Once it’s fluffy set it aside for later.
🧩 Step 7
1) We are now going to make our “magma” that’s gonna go inside our “volcano”. 2) You are going to dice up 8oz of strawberries into small cubes.
3) After you dice up your strawberries add about ½ cup sugar to the strawberries and let them make their own “juice”.
4) What we are making is basically macerated strawberries.
5) After your strawberries have made their own juice you are going to separate your strawberries from the juice.
🧩 Step 8
1) In a saucepan, you are gonna add in the strawberry juice and let it simmer.
2) Once it’s up to a simmer you are going to add your 2tsp of agar-agar and pour in a container to set.
3) After it’s set, you are gonna dice your strawberry jelly or “magma”.
🧩 Step 9
1) Now it’s time to assemble our volcanos. 2) Preheat your oven to 350F. In a muffin pan or a ramekin, you are going to butter and flour it so it doesn’t stick or spray non-stick spray.
3) First, you are going to fill up the muffin tin cavity ⅓ of the way with batter.
4) Then you are going to scoop some of the cream cheese mixture and place it inside along with the cut-up strawberry jelly pieces.
5) Then put enough batter to cover the cream cheese and strawberry jelly.
🧩 Step 10
1) Then we are going to place the cakes in the oven to cook for 15-18 minutes.
2) After you take them out of the oven serve immediately and enjoy.
🧩 Step 11 (optional)
1) To make your volcano “fancy” after it comes out of the oven melt chocolate over the top and add the diced-up strawberries you have left.
★ Helpful Tips!
Take your time and make sure not to overfill the lava cake with cream cheese. Because once you flip them over to take them to the “lava”will go straight through the wired rack and you will now have a dormant volcano.
★ ABOUT CHEF
My name is Leyah and I’m a 16-year-old self-taught chef. Growing up I didn’t get to see my dad too much but whenever I got to we would cook together. That’s one of my fondest memories as a child and sprouted my love for cooking. Now, As a 16-year-old, I’m able to live a fraction of my dream and what I want to do. I cook all the meals for my family and even special occasions and for other people. We rarely go out to eat because nothing is better than a homecooked meal. My passion is cooking and I love a good challenge that’s why I love participating in these recipe contests!