Updated: Apr 28, 2021
Easy, tangy, creamy vegan cheese infused with lemon, garlic and paprika, and nutritional yeast for that extra cheesy flavor. Soft, spreadable and oh so delicious! Perfect served up for starters, or dessert with a platter of crackers, grapes and Olives! ★Funfact!
You can make so many flavours of cheese wheels from this simple recipe, ie Mexican cheese with jalapeños and chilli's, chilli cheese, basil cheese with dried basil, garlic & herb and many more! Store-bought vegan cheeses are full of preservatives, additives and emulsifiers to make them last on the shelf. This is far cheaper to make than store-bought cheese It's super simple and literally requires a whizz on the blender /food processor! So many people tell me that the one thing they struggle to give up on a plant-based diet is cheese. We all know cheese is a hard substitute due to the lack of cheese varieties in stores. Try this recipe and you'll be in plant-based cheese heaven.
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cooking Time: 1-hour refridgerate to set Cooling Time: NA Total Time (prep + cooking + cooling): 1 hour, 40 minutes
Serves for 14 people, 7 cheese wheels
vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free, low-carb, keto, paleo, halal, kosher, clean label
156g (5 ½ oz) raw cashews 740ml (25 oz) water, divided 56g (2 oz) tahini 3 tbsp (1 ½ oz) lemon juice 1 oz coconut oil, plus extra to grease 3 tbsp nutritional yeast 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (optional) 2 tsp salt 1 tsp garlic powder ¼ tsp smoked paprika ⅛ tsp turmeric powder 1 tbsp agar-agar powder TOPPINGS 3 tsp dried mixed herbs
1. Place cashews into a bowl and cover in 415ml (14 oz) boiling water. Let sit covered for 30 minutes, then drain cashews and discard water.
2. Place drained cashews, 90 ml (3 oz) fresh water, tahini, lemon juice, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, Dijon, salt, garlic powder, paprika and turmeric into a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Place 235ml (8 oz) boiling water and agar agar powder into a sauce pan and heat for 4 minutes, allowing mixture to boil for 1 full minute. Meanwhile, lightly grease a muffin tin for the wheel.
4. Add agar agar mixture to reserved cashew mixture in the food processor and blend for 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Transfer to greased moulds and refrigerate until set (approx. 1 hr.). Unmold by sliding a silicone spatula around edge of moulds. Roll edge of cheese wheel in mixed herbs and place onto a serving board. Serve with crackers, jam, sliced apples and grapes
★ ABOUT CHE